Quick Links

Friday, August 26, 2011

Coir Pith manure ready to use!

My previous post on coir pith manure was way back in April where I described the process of decomposing coir pith. Decomposition is extremely essential before it can be used as manure. In case you missed it, you can find the details here.

http://techie2aggie.blogspot.com/2011/04/making-in-house-manure-coir-pith.html

Well, the good news is that after making 150 beds of 500 Kg each and after almost 3+ months, the manure is ready. We  got it tested at TNAU and C:N ratio was 20:1 which is acceptable. According to our rough estimates, each bed is approx. 300 Kg (after decomposition). So there was a 40% reduction in mass during the decomposition  process.

Initially, we covered it with palm leaves. That was a management disaster since it was not easy to water the beds (sharp edges of leaves was a major hindrance) and was prone to shifting due to strong winds.
We figured it would be easier to use jute bags. This worked out great since we could water through it.





Our workers bagging the manure.















Ready to be transported to Melia Dubia pits...














The final product..According to academicians, you know it is ready when it is "coffee coloured".
In my opinion, it is better to get the C:N ratio tested to ascertain if it is ready to use.

5 comments:

  1. I have arnd 50 Kgs of coir from my mattresses which is not being used... can it be used for making coir manure ... ?? Pls advise as I do not want it go for a waste... thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried it myself :), but if you shred it to smaller pieces, I would suspect sure you can make some manure (enough for a handful of pots)
    Give it a shot and let me know if it worked. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I have done .. :) now I am heading for the next stage I am gonna spread the coir on my terrace and start off..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your articles. Keep sharing more updates Thanks
    coir grow bags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is fabulous to see you verbalize from the heart and your clarity on this significant subject can be easily seen. Fantastic post and will look forward to your incoming update.
    Regards,
    Gel Mattresses In Mumbai

    ReplyDelete